Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

New York truck attack: Donald Trump wants the death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov

November 2, 2017 1:41 PM
234 0
New York truck attack: Donald Trump wants the death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov

THE wife of the Uzbeki national accused of murdering eight people in Manhattan denied any knowledge of her husband’s planned rampage.

The Washington Post reports that a person who spoke to Sayfullo Saipov’s 24-year-old wife, Nozima Odilova, on Tuesday evening said she seemed “shocked” and had no idea of what her husband was planning.

At the time, the feds were at her Paterson, New Jersey, house, where they encouraged her to cooperate to make sure no one else was harmed.

Meanwhile, neighbour Carlos Batista recounted that Saipov had occasionally driven a Home Depot pickup truck on the block with a couple of friends — apparently with no building materials aboard.

It came as investigators revealed the suspect picked Halloween to cause maximum carnage and that afterwards he said “he felt good about what he had done.”

Saipov chose the attack date to target Halloween crowds, according to the criminal complaint, and after his trail of terror was halted by a police bullet, he asked to display the Islamic State group’s flag in his hospital room.

US President Donald Trump walked back threats to send Saipov to Guantamo Bay but reiterated his call to give him the death penalty.

“Would love to send the NYC terrorist to Guantanamo but statistically that process takes much longer than going through the Federal system,” he tweeted. “There is also something appropriate about keeping him in the home of the horrible crime he committed. Should move fast. DEATH PENALTY!”

The revelations came as Saipov was charged by prosecutors over his deadly rampage in the name of Islamic State. Brought to court in a wheelchair, Saipov was held without bail on charges that could bring the death penalty.

The FBI also announced they were seeking a second Uzbek man, Mukhammadzoir Kadirov, in connection with the Halloween massacre releasing a wanted poster with his face on it.

They later announced they had found the man in New Jersey but it remains unclear what his connection is to Saipov or the deadly events of Tuesday.

A clearer picture has emerged of how Saipov planned the sickening massacre which cops believe included dry runs to plot his deadly course of destruction.

“Saipov chose October 31, Halloween, for the attack because he believed there would be more civilians on the street for the holiday,” Federal prosecutors wrote in a 10-page criminal complaint.

“Saipov wanted to kill as many people as he could,” the complaint states.

Saipov has been charged with “one count of providing material support to terrorists and one count of violence and destruction of a motor vehicle causing death.”

The latter charge brings into play the death penalty — a rarity for New York.

The charges detail how Saipov started planning his attack a year ago and just last week rented a similar truck in New Jersey to go on a test run.

He stands accused of killing eight people while injuring a dozen others after crashing the rented truck into a sea of people on a bike path next to the Hudson River in Manhattan on Tuesday.

Cops found a note referencing Islamic State along with a stun gun and three knives in his mangled rented truck following the attack.

Chillingly the complaint states that after being hospitalised for his gunshot wound Saipov asked cops to put up the ISIS flag and “stated that he felt good about what he had done”.

It also emerged that Saipov had gained entry to the United States from Uzbekistan in 2010 legally after winning the green card lottery.

That development prompted President Donald Trump to demand that Congress end the Diversity Visa Lottery Program.

In light of Tuesday’s attack, the NYPD announced that they were beefing up security for Sunday’s New York marathon where more than 50,000 runners are expected to take to the streets cheered on by an estimated 2 million people.

“We’ve added more sand trucks, more blocker vehicles,” NYPD Chief Carlos Gomez said.

“It will be the most ever deployed at this event. We more than doubled our observation teams, our rooftop observation posts, as well as our counter-sniper teams from the emergency services unit throughout the boroughs, not just here in Manhattan.”

Source: news.com.au

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0